When art imitates life

I’m not doing so well at Camp. I’ve not been editing or writing as long as I should, or even any time at all during the day. Too much on my mind, really. Housework, being the agony aunt for both the in-laws and the parents, trying to get some estimates on fixing up the house (and daydreaming about how my kitchen might look). There’s a lot swirling around me and writing has been put on the back burner.

However, I’ve been rereading a lot of my previous works-in-progress to see where I might pick up and finish the stories. So far Moonstrike! is the favorite; I have a lot of that written already and I even got a chapter edited and posted at fanfiction.net. (I have it here; I just need to format it.) But I picked up a previous story, one I have mostly done but not published anywhere. It’s called Brainstorm and in the second chapter, I found I’d written in a situation that’s part of my real life right now. One of our family members is determined that their spouse is going to pass at home and has asked for home hospice. I can’t believe I was writing about such a situation back in 2011 (which is when I first wrote this story), but there it is. A very surprising situation and one that took my breath away.

That’s all I want to say for now. Just have to find the quiet time to maybe edit and finish some of these stories.

Gearing up for NaNoWriMo!

It’s been a while, hasn’t it?

I tried Camp NaNoWriMo again in July and failed miserably at it. Wrote hardly anything, possibly because a series of health-related issues among the parental units kept me on edge. In August, my husband and I went to visit those same parental units during a two-week long trip to points north. (We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary the first week.) I came back sick with a cold that hung on for a couple of weeks. Since then, I’ve tried to catch up with the housework and gear up for … yes, it’s NaNo season again!

This year’s theme is superheroes and it got me thinking about my writing. I realized, no matter whether I was writing fantasy or fan fiction, I was always writing about superheroes. Whether they used magic or technology, it was always superheroes! (A possible exception would be The Door to Anywhere.) So, before I even knew what the theme was, I had planned on actually writing about superheroes–comic book style heroes with colorful outfits, capes, masks, the works!

I’ve also decided to be a “plantser” this year. Normally, I’m a “pantser”, someone who writes by the seat of their pants, as opposed to a “planner”, someone who plans everything out. This time, I’m going to do some prior planning–character sheets, a bare-bones plot outline, and a bit of world-building as well. Maybe then I can make it to the actual end of my story and finish draft zero!

This is my 10th year as an ML for Greenville. I have a new co-ML in Tyffani Clark Kemp, a writer with her own publishing company. The library system has filled our month with write-ins; seven branches in all are participating. Tomorrow I have a table waiting for me at the Main library’s Southern Author Festival. It means I have to get up early to make sure all my ducks are in a row. So, until later days, y’all!

Finally finished the third chapter

I have been so behind on blogging and writing. Partially because I don’t have the deadline of NaNoWriMo hanging over my head but also because there’s been a lot of personal upheaval in my life–from my mom’s kidney failure to my dad’s current hospital stay to my recent fractured leg due to another nasty fall.

However, I’m determined to get this Flash fic done and off to a betareader before the end of the month. Why? The first session of Camp NaNoWriMo is coming up in April and I want to try it for a change.

I don’t usually find the April session very profitable for me.  In the past, I’ve had kids in school who needed ferrying around. This year, absolutely no one is in school and I’m laid up with this fracture for the next several weeks (the orthopedist may have something more to say about that tomorrow), so I should have lots of time to write, right? The problem is motivation–and having a project to work on. I could go back and finish some of my Thunderbirds works-in-progress, though it’s hard to pick up the threads of a story that’s been dormant for years. I could finish off one of my original stories. Or I could strain the brain and come up with something new–maybe out-and-out superheroes. I guess I’ll see what piques my interest when the time comes.

Tomorrow, onto chapter 4 (and final).

So much for Camp

Totally, utterly derailed by the whirlwind preparations for a parental visit. Cleaning took most of the week as did rearranging furniture to make way for a gift of a new-to-us dining room set (gifted to us by aforementioned parental units).

I might be premature and totally wrong about the derailment. Perhaps once the ‘rents are gone and the kitchen faucet is replaced, I’ll have time to make up my word count.

Perhaps. We’ll see.

Second test down…

And a happy Father’s day for all the dads I know… including my own, my FIL, and my beloved Hubby!

As the title states, the Girl took the second of her College Board tests – the ACT – yesterday. She said it wasn’t quite as hard as the SAT and she was glad she didn’t have to write an essay. Hubby had Friday and Saturday off as his regular days off, and spent much of yesterday digging post holes for the fence, then repairing the spigot at the side of the house. Friday he went grocery shopping with me, which was nice.

Today we gave him cards and a gift: another Dr. Pepper t-shirt! It’s getting to be a household joke – don’t know what to get Dad? Get him a Dr. Pepper shirt! I think he has four or five of them now, including the long sleeved thermal one, and not including his sweatshirt style jacket. At least the one we got him today was different; it’s two shades of gray instead of the sort of murky red that the others ones are. Next up: Dr. Pepper sleep pants…

Dinner was great! Boy #1 gets into cooking, and did the 5-cup salad for me yesterday, then heated the green beans (his choice of veggie). He also set up the skewers for our first try at grilled seafood: shrimp and scallop kabobs. Hubby did the actual grilling, but Boy #1 set everything up for him. Man, that was good! We used this seafood seasoning shaker stuff on the kabobs. Marvelous flavor addition. And since we thawed out ALL of the seafood, we get to do it again either today or tomorrow! Yum!

Now it’s time for me to call my dad and wish him a Happy Father’s Day. I don’t know why, but both Mother’s and Father’s Days have just sort of crept up on me and caught me unawares. At least this time it was close enough to payday that I could get cards and gifts – and I put a little something in the packages for the moms, too. They probably should arrive by Tuesday.

Chapter 35 is ready…

but I’m not putting it up until I get some reviews on Chapter 34! I’ve been putting these things up so quickly and it’s time to slow down just a bit. I won’t have a lot of time tomorrow for Chapter 36 with IR:TNP brainstorming and all, but I’ll do what I can. There may be an extra chapter in here somewhere. It depends on how much material I have left.
The AC keeps spitting water out at me. Makes me think it’s raining indoors.
Talked to my folks today. Told Dad about the diabetic advances. Talked to Rick’s new wife, Alison, yesterday for the first time. She seems real sweet. I was really happy that he remarried. He needed a new helpmeet and a mother for those kids. Looks like my  ILs are going to move back to MI eventually. They bought a mobile home near Rick and Bernie. My FIL has glaucoma in one eye and my MIL realizes that she’ll be doing a lot more driving. She’s not fond of driving in traffic, and we live in a city with traffic, so that really was a factor in their decision. (Plus my FIL wants to be there and not here, where his DIL stands up to him.)
More as my muse moves.

Masquerade chapter 23 is up

Finally got it done. I actually was going to add a bit of rescue to the end of it, but I decided that it would work better in the beginning of the next chapter.
I guess I should work on The White Winds next. I already have 50 reviews on it and it’s only 7 chapters so far. Most of the reviews are of the “great chapter, update soon” variety, but a few are of the more thoughtful type I cherish.
Saw Dr. T.E. today for a follow-up from my meeting with the management team on Tuesday. She is very pleased with my progress.  I’ve lost 30 lbs. from my highest weight and am feeling better overall. Just wish I didn’t get so drowsy in the afternoons.
Hubby woke me up early this morning, and not because he wanted me to take him to work either, even though he had missed the bus by the time he did! I like that kind of wake-up call, yes indeedy!
My parents were in a car accident today. Some idiot ran a stop sign, thinking (incorrectly) that my parents had a stop sign so he could just barrel on through. He asked my BIL, who was with them, why they didn’t stop, and my BIL put the stupid guy straight right away. They are bruised, but there are no broken bones, though Mom didn’t tell the hospital about her rotator cuff surgery and she may be having some fallout from that. She had braced herself with that arm, and the airbags didn’t deploy because of the way their truck was hit. The truck is undriveable right now but since it’s a late model, it may be repairable. In any case, they need a rental. I just hope that MA isn’t still on that “no fault insurance” kick.


The callous on my right foot, the one that has been forming since that blood blister back in March, the one that the vascular surgeon has been debriding in hopes of getting it to heal, now has blood behind it again. I noticed a change in color as early as last Friday, but today I noticed that it was beginning to bulge, forming another stinking blood blister. I’m keeping my foot elevated as much as I can and I’ll call the vascular surgeon in the morning. And I’ll probably have to see the prosthetics people as well.
I hate this! I can’t do anything! Can’t drive, can’t walk. I may have to start using those motorized carts when I go shopping. I don’t want to give up my independence! I will not be like D.D., who started riding around in a cart just months after her diagnosis of neuropathy. She can’t even get up to walk across the room without pain and lots of heavy breathing since she’s so inactive. I want this thing to heal up and go away!
Enough belly aching. We’re going to bro’s house in a couple of hours to celebrate the Fourth. More later.